Project Application Process
- Registration (external reseacher only): Med Uni Graz external researchers seeking access to material/data for the 1st time have to fill the Registration Form.
- Project Application: The researcher sends the Project Application to biobank-pm(at)medunigraz.at. After a Project Application is filed, Biobank Graz checks whether the required samples and data are available and costs are estimated.
- Project application development: The project is developed in an interactive process that includes the definition of the study protocol and the study cohort.
- Biobank representative assesses the submitted project proposals.
- Execution: Prior to sample/data release to the approved researcher the Material Transfer Agreement needs to be execute and a positive ethics vote is needed. (Link: local ethics committee)
The Biobank representative applies to the following decision criteria:
- Project is consistent with the objectives of Biobank Graz (research project, no sample and data trade), clearly recognizable benefit for the general public
- Promotion of the research interests of Medical University of Graz, resultant research co-operations
- Scientific quality of the project (relevance of research, feasibility)
- Relative value of the samples (number of equivalent samples at Biobank Graz; incidence /prevalence of the illness; estimated time to recollect spent samples)
The following standards apply for the project implementation:
- Samples are preferably not transferred outside Medical University of Graz. Instead, on-site analysis using the core facilities of the Center for Medical Research is favoured. Sample transfer must be justified at project submission.
- The recipient must provide proof that the research project has gained the approval of the local ethics committee.
- The response time of Biobank Graz depends on the complexity of the submitted project. Project Applications are generally answered within 3 working days.
>> An outline of the Biobank Graz' samples can be found at the BBMRI-ERIC Directory
For enquiries please contact biobank-pm(at)medunigraz.at