The history of biobanking in Austria has a long tradition and is based on a royal decree from 1811 that remitted medical doctors to collect pathological specimens. After several decades of collecting samples at various departments separately, in 2007 Biobank Graz became an institutional and central research infrastructure of Medical University of Graz, Austria. Today Biobank Graz is a publicly owned, non-profit organisation and supported by public funding.
Biobank Graz builds on many years of preparatory work and on existing sample collections from research projects of various clinics and institutes. In 2007 the Rectorate of the Medical University of Graz took account for the need of sustainable financing and institutional stability of Biobank Graz. The development of Biobank Graz was set up as a key project in the area of research infrastructure within the developmental plan of the university and Biobank Graz was anchored in the organization chart.
Today, Biobank Graz is one of the largest clinical biobanks in Europe housing more than 20 million human samples including body fluids, fresh frozen tissues, formalin fixed paraffin embedded (FFPE) tissues as well as their associated clinical data.